Methodist Episcopal Church
This congregation dates from 1849 when people worshipped in log barracks within Fort Gratiot.
Marine City
Built-in 1884 at a cost of $12,300, this edifice has served continuously as the seat of local government. Marine City was incorporated as the village of Marine in 1865.
James McColl House
This Queen Anne-style structure was erected in 1899 by James Livingston. During the late nineteenth century Livingston and his son-in-law, James McColl produced linseed oil and twine in their flax mills in Michigan and Canada.
Immaculate Conception Of Blessed Virgin Mary
In the 1830s, numerous Catholic settlers immigrated to the Anchor Bay area. Not before long land was donated and a church was constructed and later reconstructed after a fire.
Huron Lightship
After 1940 the Huron was the only lightship on the Great Lakes. Retired from Coast Guard service in 1970, she was presented to the city of Port Huron in 1971.
Holy Cross Parish
Holy Cross Parish has remained in continuous use and service to the people for over 150 years, and with it is much history.
Harsen House
This house belonged to the family of Jacob Harsen. A gunsmith and fur trader who arrived here about 1778, Harsen was the first white settler on the island and he and his family once owned the island.
Harrington Hotel/Truman Honeymoon
The Harrington Hotel opened amid much fanfare in 1896. A unique blend of Romanesque, Classical, and Queen Anne architecture, the hotel thrived for many years. Harry S. Truman, the future thirty-third president of the United States, stayed here on his honeymoon with his wife Bess.
Greenwood Cemetery
The cemetery is reminiscent of Victorian-era perpetual care lawn cemeteries. A draped obelisk and a pedestaled larger-than-life-size maiden holding a bouquet of flowers exemplify monuments popular during this period. Renamed Woodlawn Cemetery in 1901.
Fort St. Joseph
Built near here in 1686 by the French explorer Duluth, this fort was the second white settlement in lower Michigan. This post guarded the upper end of the vital waterway joining Lake Erie and Lake Huron.
Fort Gratiot Light
This lighthouse is the oldest in Michigan. Built in 1829 to replace a tower destroyed by a storm and later workers extended the tower to its present height of eighty-six feet. The light, automated in 1933, continues to guide shipping on Lake Huron
First International Tunnel
At this point, the Grand Trunk Western Railroad tunnel, linking Port Huron with Canada, passes underneath Gratiot Avenue. This international submarine railway tunnel—the first in the world—was opened in 1891.
First Congregational Church
This red-brick, stone-faced structure was built in 1879 by Samuel Hopkins on land donated by his son William. Founded in 1833, its congregation is the oldest continuing one in St. Clair County.
First Baptist Church
Around 1852 the first meetinghouse was built here on land donated by the village board of supervisors. That church burned in 1870. The present Romanesque-inspired church was erected three years later.
East China Fractional District No. 2 School
A frame school, built on the site prior to 1853, was replaced by this brick school around 1873. It was one of three mid-nineteenth-century schools in the township and is the only one remaining.
E.C. Williams House
E. C. Williams built this double house in 1890-91, in what was then the village of Fort Gratiot. Williams published the Fort Gratiot Sun, a newspaper that circulated primarily among railroad passengers and crew.
Diamond Crystal Salt Company
Salt exploration and extraction began in St. Clair County as early as 1863. Several people tried to make drilling cost-effective. The St. Clair Rock Salt Company came together in 1886, later becoming Diamond Crystal Salt Company.
Davidson House
This excellent Queen Anne-style house, completed in 1890, was the residence of Wilbur F. Davidson who opened a dry goods store in Port Huron which later served as the first electric light plant in the county.
Colony Tower
Built in 1925 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Works, this steel-framed water tower was the main water supplier for "The Colony on the Ste. Claire"--a secluded residential community established in Clay Township during the early 1920s.
Cole United Methodist Church
The Cole United Methodist Church, formed in 1878, was named for Jesse and Adah Cole, who held services in their home during the 1860s.